How to Use NY Crime Victims Legal Help

People often have many different legal needs after a crime – finding safe housing, getting time off from work to go to court, or help paying medical bills. If you have been a victim of crime in New York State, this website can help you find information and civil legal resources (non-criminal resources) that are most helpful for your situation.

A crime victim is anyone who has been harmed as a result of a crime. Even if you did not report the crime, you are still a crime victim and may receive legal and supportive services. You may be able to receive additional services, like crime victim compensation, if you report the crime to law enforcement.

Not sure if you're a victim of a crime? Click here!

The Legal Help Directory can help you find legal assistance. Enter the county where you live and the legal issue to find organizations that can help you. Organizations that have a “Try This First” tag have a dedicated attorney who can help with that specific legal issue in that county.

Go to the Know Your Rights section to find information about your legal issue and resources that can help you. Use the search feature or the site map to help you find where the legal issue is on the website. Or use LiveHelp to ask someone where you can find the information.

Use the Find Legal Forms to get blank forms that you can use, or to access online document assembly programs to help you complete the paperwork you need for your case.

Use our Victim Compensation Claim Navigator to see if you are eligible to apply for victim compensation, and use our detailed Guide to help you apply for compensation through the NYS Office of Victim Service online portal. 

If you have any questions, please use the Contact Us page. Please do not share confidential information.


Help With Other Needs

For immediate help and to report a crime, call 911.

Looking for information about criminal court? Learn about criminal court basics or talk to a crime victim advocate near you. 

Need help understanding legal terms? Please see the NY Court Help Glossary.

Need help paying for food, housing utilities, or child care? Do you need help with healthcare, disability, vocational or other services?

Visit or visit the NYS Social Programs website.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - confidential support for people in distress:
(800) 273-8255.

Adult Protective Services:
(844) 697-3505

The New York State Hotline for Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence:

  • Text (844) 997-2121
  • Call (800) 942-6906

National Human Trafficking Hotline:

  • Call (888) 373-7888 (TTY: 711)
  • Text 233733

LGBT National Hotline:

  • Call (888) 843-4564


Back to top