If you are an immigrant without permanent status to be in the U.S., you may be afraid to say you were a crime victim. You may fear that if you tell the police about the crime, they will check your immigration status and you could be deported. You may think it’s safer for you to avoid the risk of deportation than to ask for help as a victim of crime.

But if you are a victim of domestic violence, human trafficking, and certain other crimes, U.S. law may protect you even if you are undocumented.

This section has information about your rights as an immigrant who has been a victim of crime. For more information, visit the USCIS website.  Please see WARNING (in tab below).

Help With Other Needs

For immediate help and to report a crime, call 911.

Looking for information about criminal court? Learn about criminal court basics or talk to a crime victim advocate near you. 

Need help understanding legal terms? Please see the NY Court Help Glossary.

Need help paying for food, housing utilities, or child care? Do you need help with healthcare, disability, vocational or other services? Visit findservicesNY.gov or visit the NYS Social Programs website.

Visit the Hotlines page for national and New York State resources.


Back to top